Pages

Thursday 1 February 2018

DAPHNE ~ OUT AND ABOUT WITH MY SHOPPING BASKET

Good Morning to you,

The first day of February has arrived and the month of January, is now behind us.

.... and I have decided, I am not going to utter those words. You know, the ones you are thinking of right now, after reading the last sentence.

.... but on second thoughts, I might as well get it over and done with, because I just know, at some point during the day, the words are going to tumble from my mouth.

So here goes.

Where on earth did January go? 

There, I've said it, I have got it out of my system and yes, I feel much better now. 

.... but seriously, where did it go.  I cannot believe that February has arrived. Now I could continue with this train of thought, and talk about living in the moment, taking time to enjoy life, but I feel that is a whole other conversation. I think, for now,  I need to let this go and move on to other things.

How about shopping?


That sounds good to me.

.... and what have I been placing in my shopping basket during the month of January?

There is no list, because to be honest, I tend not to visit the shops during January, because after Christmas, there is nothing which I really need.

.... but I have been out and about, mainly visiting our local garden centre oh yes and charity shops.... well that is where the bargains are to be had at this time of year.

It always amazes me, the treasures which can be found, after Christmas in charity shops.  I'm not sure why.  Maybe people have a good clear out  of their old possessions, to make way for their new Christmas gifts. As they say, out with the old and in with the new.



.... and in with the new certainly applies to these beautiful Alstroemeria, which I bought at my local supermarket. Flowers always put a smile on my face and the added bonus is, they will stay in flower for 2 maybe 3 weeks. 




I was also seduced by these little daffodils.  They were planted in yellow plastic pots, which were not very pleasing to the eye, so on my arrival home,  I searched my cupboards to see what I could find. I discovered some glass candle holders which I had saved and also these little mercury glass candle holders.  Oh yes and a silver rose bowl, which I thought would look lovely planted with yellow daffodils.



.... and look how they have grown.  I am going to enjoy them indoors and then once they have finished flowering I am going to plant them in the garden, where they will bring me pleasure once again.

Oh and I also bought some more wool.  I love this colour and it works beautifully with my cushions.  I have two more frills to finish and then I will drape the throw over my sofa.



I took this photograph this morning, I just had to show you how the daffodils had grown . They really are a ray of sunshine on a grey day.





.... and my most exciting purchase, was these 4 beautiful 'Real Old Willow' teacups. Admittedly they were sold minus their saucers, but I don't mind, because it will give me something to look for when I am next out and about. The handles are a lovely shape and the cup is beautiful.



.... and take a peek inside the teacup... isn't the design just perfect.



Talking of beautiful, isn't this Zephirine Drouhin rose just gorgeous. Buying plants for my garden is possibly one of my favourite pastimes, along with gardening itself.  I am waiting for the delivery of some bare rooted roses, so that I can plant them this month.

When it comes to roses, my favourite grower is David Austin.  Each rose I have bought from his nursery has never failed to impress. 



 .... and when the word exquisite, which is a word I love, is used in the description, well this Queen of Sweden rose is certainly going to grace my garden.



.... and this climbing Rose, Graham Thomas with its beautiful yellow colour will look magnificent climbing up my pergola. I am looking forward to summer time when I will be able to show you these beautiful roses, flowering in my garden.

My final purchase was,



The Cornish Coast Murder by John Bude.  Initially I picked it up because I liked the front cover and then I noticed it said 'British Library Crime Classics'.  I opened up the book and discovered it was originally published in 1935. The Cornish Coast Murder was the debut crime novel of Ernest Carpenter Elmore.  Ernest used the pseudonym John Bude for writing his crime novels. Maybe he thought his own name was a little long winded.  Personally I thought it was a lovely name.... not a name you hear every day.

When I picked the book from the shelf, I noticed that it had not been read, its condition was pristine. Maybe the original owner, mistook the title, thinking it would be too graphic.  Whatever the reason, their loss, was certainly my gain. 

I do enjoy a good crime novel, but I am not so keen on today's crime novels, as I find they are too descriptive. If I have to skip pages, then there is no point in reading the book.  This is the perfect book for me,  after all I am a huge fan of Miss Marple's.  I started reading this book in the evening and couldn't put it down, suffice it to say, the book was finished in 2 days. 

I was quite disappointed when I finished reading the book, for no other reason than, it was a thoroughly good read.  I often feel that way when I finish a good book, as I want it to continue, I don't want the story to end, although end it must.

I feel sure, after reading The Cornish Coast Murder, I will be looking for more John Bude novels.  I will let you know if I find anymore.

I am now going to look at my seed catalogues as a few dropped through the letterbox this week. Browsing through seed catalogues and choosing seeds for our garden is always a lovely way to spend an evening. 

Take care and I will catch up with you next Thursday.


As Always.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Friends,

It is so wonderful to know you enjoy reading Ivy, Phyllis and Me! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really do appreciate it.

Best wishes to you.

Daphne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...