Pages

Sunday 5 October 2014

ROASTED FIGS WRAPPED IN PROSCIUTTO

Good Morning to you,


'I saw my life branching out before me,
like the green fig tree in the story.
From the tip of every branch,
like a fat purple fig,
a wonderful future 
beckoned and winked.'

Sylvia Plath
'The Bell Jar'

I love this time of year, when for a short period of time, the market stalls are overflowing with plump, juicy figs.

It takes me back to the time, when we lived in Cyprus and were lucky enough to have our very own fig trees growing in our garden.  

I always looked forward to the end of October, as that was the time when the figs ripened on the trees, ready  to be picked. Whenever the fancy took me, I would  walk into the  garden and pick one or two figs from the trees, wash them,  squish them open and enjoy the beautiful flesh. The trees yielded so many figs,  that there were always far too many for us, and there is only so many jars of fig jam which can be made, so we always shared our surplus figs with our neighbours.

Nothing compares to picking a ripened fig from a fig tree, but, as it is far too cold, to grow figs in the North of England, I enjoyed a trip to the Grainger Market yesterday, where I was so pleased to find I could buy ten figs for a pound..... which is amazing value.

So today, it will come as no surprise when I tell you,


I am making, roasted figs wrapped in prosciutto and filled with goats cheese.  Such simple flavours but oh, so, delicious.  

If you need another reason to enjoy figs, not only are they delicious, but they are rich in minerals and they are a good source of potassium and iron..... this is a bonus, because not only are they good for you, but they are also packed full of  flavour.

So without further ado, it's on with the pinnie, and the music I am listening to today, is,


my 1977 album, Rumours by Fleetwood Mac.  This is such a brilliant album and I love it.  I feel sure you will know and even sing along to the songs 'Don't Stop', 'Go Your Own Way' and 'Dreams', just like I do.

So I really must organise my ingredients, whilst I also sing along to 'You Make Loving Fun'.... I told you I love this album.

INGREDIENTS
TO 
MAKE
ROASTED FIGS WRAPPED
 IN PROSCIUTTO 

4 ripe juicy figs
8 slices of Prosciutto
90g of goats cheese
2 teaspoon of olive oil
sea salt
freshly ground black pepper

1 muffin tin

Pre-heat the oven to 180C

HOW TO MAKE
ROASTED FIGS
WRAPPED IN PROSCIUTTO


Wash 
and 
dry the figs.


Cut a cross into the top of
each fig,
but do not cut right through
to the bottom.


Gently squeeze
the bottom of each fig.
This encourages the  fig to open,
just
like a flower.


Cut the goats cheese
into
flour slices.


and
place a slice
into the centre
of
each fig.

It may seem like a lot
of goats cheese,
 but once the figs
are baked, you will see, this is the
perfect amount.


Carefully wrap 2 slices
of
prosciutto 
around
each 
of the
figs.


Brush a deep
muffin tin
with
teaspoon of olive oil.

I tend to brush olive oil
over the top of the muffin tin as well,
just in case the cheese
overflows.
This makes it much easier to remove
the figs.


Place the wrapped figs 
into the muffin tin
and
bake
for
10 minutes,
or
until the prosciutto is crispy
and
the 
cheese has melted.


Place the roasted figs
on plate.
Sprinkle with sea salt
and
freshly ground black pepper
and finally,
drizzle 
over the remaining
teaspoon of olive oil.


Now,
there is nothing left to do,
but,
enjoy.

To be honest, these roasted figs really do not need much more. I tend to serve them with a light green salad and sometimes with, and sometimes without, a slice of baguette.  It really depends on my mood, on the day.

Do you know, there are times, when I can cook a meal, which has many ingredients and I really enjoy the food, but sometimes, just sometimes, I like nothing more than using  a few good ingredients, because the end result is pure pleasure.

I was just thinking, that perhaps you don't like goats cheese, well this is not a problem as I have made roasted figs with Feta cheese and also Dolcelatte.... just find the cheese you enjoy.... but it must become soft within the 10 minutes of baking time.

Just before I leave you, does any one remember being given syrup of figs as a child..... I do.... and I was just wondering if syrup of figs is still around or was it something which was taken back in the day.

Take care and I will see you on Wednesday.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Dear Friends,

It is so wonderful to know you enjoy reading Ivy, Phyllis and Me! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really do appreciate it.

Best wishes to you.

Daphne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...