Pages

Wednesday 21 August 2013

ORANGE AND CHOCOLATE SAUCE

Good Morning to you,


I have exciting news, Phyllis, has come to stay with us for two weeks and do you know what her first request was when she arrived..... a nice cup of Yorkshire tea.

We have had fun going out and about and you will never guess which film we went to see yesterday, The Lone Ranger, with Johnny Depp playing the part of Tonto.  I worried at first that the sound in the cinema would be too loud for her, but she said it was fine, she sat between George and I and  we could both hear her laughing at funny parts of the film.  She said she remembered watching the original series with Clayton Moore playing the part of The Lone Ranger in the 1950's television series and was interested to see how Johnny Depp played the part of Tonto.  Her verdict.... he was marvellous and he made her laugh.

Afterwards we went for a meal and we started talking about my blog and the various cakes and desserts I had made.  She asked me what a Semifreddo was, and as I started to explain, a little alarm bell rang in my head. When I made Semifreddo, see here I had promised to show you how I make chocolate sauce, but it had totally slipped my mind, that is,  until we were talking about it. So I am going to remedy that today and Phyllis is going to help with a little stirring here and a little grating there.


Actually, I have to admit this looks like a cup of hot cocoa, but it isn't, it is chocolate sauce.  I did not drizzle the sauce over anything, as to be honest I did not have any ice cream.  I love this little cup and saucer which my mother-in-law, Sadie gave me, so I thought it would add a little interest.

So without further ado, it is on with the apron and the music I am listening to, is none other than, 


the fabulous Michael Buble, (sorry I do not have an accent on my computer to put over the "e" in Michael's name).  Michael is really popular here in England and  Phyllis loves listening to his music as well. The cd contains a mixture of old and new songs, so it was perfect for today, as Phyllis was singing along to quite a few of the songs, she especially liked "You Make Feel So Young".

INGREDIENTS


150 ml (1/4 pint) double cream
50g (2 oz) butter,
1 orange
3 tablespoons caster sugar


100g (4 oz) dark good quality plain chocolate

METHOD


Grate the zest from the orange
and set aside


juice the orange
and set aside


Pour the cream into a saucepan 
and


 add the caster sugar


Cut the butter into cubes and add to the cream and sugar.
Heat gently, stirring until the butter has melted,
do not allow to boil.



Break the chocolate into  small pieces 
and add to the cream.
At this point I remove the cream from the heat
and keep stirring until the chocolate has
melted into the cream.  If it does not melt 
completely, return to the heat for another minute.


Add the grated orange rind and stir


Add a tablespoonful of orange juice and mix, then add the
second tablespoonful of orange juice and mix until 
thoroughly incorporated.


Pour into a bowl and allow to cool a little before using
as you do not want to burn your mouth.

When you are ready to use this warm Orange and Chocolate Sauce, drizzle it over ice cream...... you will not be disappointed with the flavourful outcome.

If you do not use all the chocolate sauce, place it in the fridge and then when you want to use it again, maybe in the next day or two, place the cold sauce in a basin and place the basin over a pan of hot water.  After a few minutes, stir the sauce, it will gradually return to it's original consistency.

I have even left this chocolate sauce in the fridge over night until it sets and made little chocolates dipped in cocoa.  I use two small teaspoons, one teaspoon I dip into the sauce and remove just enough to fill the teaspoon and then with another teaspoon, which has been dipped in hot  water and then dried I shape the chocolates into little quenelles and then gently roll into cocoa.

Oh dear..... here I am talking about chocolate again. It is only Wednesday and this week  I have  made this Orange and Chocolate Sauce and also a Chocolate Cloud cake for Phyllis.

..... that is it..... no more chocolate for me this week.

Just before I go, I wanted to say, I am sorry I have not been answering comments and emails this week, but I know you will understand, that my time is precious with Phyllis, and I want to spend as much time with her as I can.   I promise to catch up with you when Phyllis returns home at the end of the month.

Take care and I will see you later in the week.







14 comments:

  1. Hello ,my dear Daphne !!!!
    So nice to have your mother staying with you !!!!
    Your recipe looks very delicious - I 'm sure
    i'll try it in the near future !!!!
    Best wishes
    Niki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Homemade chocolate sauce is so much more decadent than store bought. This looks like an amazing sauce. Thank you for sharing.
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so delicious. Enjoy your time with Phyllis and have a lovely week. Oh, I love the font on the chocolate package - so Craftsman in style.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Olá! linda e mimosa xícara...adorei!
    gosto muito de louças , principalmente antigas, e em bom estado.
    ainda não vi esse filme, com Johnny Depp...adoro ele!
    belo dia!
    bjs

    ReplyDelete
  5. chocolate is the cure for everything...well, just about everything. I saw Michael Bubble in concert once, and I like his music

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dearest Daphne,
    What a wonderful time to have your Mum, Phyllis stay with you!
    This chocolate sauce sounds delicious the way you make it; regardless the high cholesterol... I will have to try and tweak this recipe to make it more health-friendly.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  7. hello
    tout cela me semble délicieux :::miam
    j'adore les oranges et le chocolat
    très calorifique
    tendresse
    edith (iris) France

    ReplyDelete
  8. yum yum
    I definitely want to try this since I am a huge ice cream person,I also like the idea of leaving the chocolate in a tea spoon then add to hot tea maybe?

    enjoy yourself don't worry about giving us all a comment back ,we know your having fun and that's what life is all about enjoying life while we have it

    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, you're having such fun this week! I would definitely love a cup of tea that you brewed! And I've wanted to see The Lone Ranger! My son saw some of the filming of that movie...he even saw Johnny Depp up close! I can't wait to see it! Enjoy your week my friend! And thanks for the surprise today! Sweet hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How sweet to spend some time with your mother!! Enjoy it as much as you can! This chocolate-orange sauce looks fantastic!!! Thanks for the recipe!
    By the way, I made the banoffee cheesecake yesterday and it is already gone! Everybody liked it!
    Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Daphne. Your chocolate sauce sounds and looks so good. Cute idea using the lovely teacup! My hubby loves his icecream so I will make the sauce soon! Thank you so much for your lovely comment and for being a follower of my blog. I am now a follower of yours and look forward to viewing your previous posts. Enjoy your time with your precious Mom.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  12. So nice and vintage, the cup and saucer and the tablecloth, ver very cozy :))

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello, Daphne

    I feel right at home, with a Canadian singer crooning a lovely song.

    Your chocolate sauce looks scrumptious; chocolate and orange pair so well.

    I hope you have a wonderful time with Phyllis. Heaven knows she'll eat well at your home!

    -Karen

    ReplyDelete
  14. Alas I do have the ice cream but not the chocolate sauce. Too bad we don't live near one another! This does look delightful and I will have to make some for my husband.

    ReplyDelete

Dear Friends,

It is so wonderful to know you enjoy reading Ivy, Phyllis and Me! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really do appreciate it.

Best wishes to you.

Daphne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...