Pages

Wednesday 9 January 2013

BULGAR WHEAT SALAD

Good Morning to you,
I appreciate, that in many parts of the world,  it is cold and it is snowing, and your looking at the title of my post and thinking, I have posted this recipe in the wrong season, as this is a summer recipe. You are also thinking, the last thing you want to eat is a salad.....but please do not be put off, as this is a simple, but delicious salad which I enjoy during our very cold winter months.
This is a Bulgar Wheat Salad and yes, you will be pleased to hear, this is a simple salad. After all the Christmas and New Year cooking, I am happy to eat something which takes 15 minutes to prepare and which is healthy.
Bulgar wheat is used extensively throughout the Mediterranean and I first came across it whilst living in Cyprus.  It has a slight nutty flavour and can be used in a variety of ways.  I use Bulgar Wheat in soups, in stuffings, in salads or as an accompaniment to  meat or fish dishes.
   

 This recipe is not an exact science, as this salad is often made up of ingredients from my store cupboard or fridge. For instance, the Bulgar wheat I have used for this recipe, I set aside from  the previous evening's meal, and placed it in the fridge, with the intention of making this salad the following day. Sometimes I grate the carrots, but today I have left them in small chunks.  Omit the carrots and add tomatoes, lettuce and cucumber, then add small chunks of fetta cheese, tuna fish or chicken if you prefer.  If you enjoy garlic, add grated garlic or add a small amount of pesto (see how to make your own) The additions are endless.

But for the sake of guidance I will give you the weights of the ingredients I used. 

 INGREDIENTS

 These amounts serve two people

1/2 small white onion, chopped 
(use red onion  or
2 spring onions if you prefer)
4 oz cooked Bulgar wheat
1 carrot chopped or grated
4 small tomatoes or 1 large tomato chopped
1/4 large cucumber chopped into small pieces
9 sun dried tomatoes
1 Little Gem lettuce, shredded 
8 stoned green and black olives
1 tablespoon of oil from the sun dried tomatoes
A squeeze of lemon juice
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

 Cook the Bulgar wheat as indicated by the makers instructions
Place in a bowl and allow to cool
 
 Add the chopped onion 
 
  Add the chopped or grated carrot
 
Add the chopped tomatoes and
cucumber 
Add the sun dried tomatoes
chop into small pieces if you prefer
 
  Add the halved black and green stoned olives
 
 Add the shredded lettuce 
 Add a tablespoon of olive oil from
the sun dried tomatoes
A squeeze of lemon juice
Sea salt and  black pepper to taste
Mix the salad together
  
Good quality sun dried tomatoes are expensive to buy, but they are so much cheaper to make yourself. During the summer, when tomatoes are plentiful, I made my own sun dried tomatoes. When tomatoes are in season again, I will show you how to do this, so collect  two jars with lids then you will be ready to make your own. 

Just as an added thought,  if you are working, and you need to take a packed lunch with you, this salad is perfect.
  
Before I leave you, I have to apologise for my photographs, as they are not the normal size I would choose.  Along with many other people, I am unable to load my photos in the normal way. Blogger is having a bit of a problem, so I am loading them via HTML which works, but does not give the size of photograph I really want. Having said that, "something is better than nothing".

Take care and have a lovely day and I will see you later in the week.







17 comments:

  1. I love salads with olives. This one I must try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds delicious. I love salads but had never thought of adding bulgar wheat to it. Now you have given me something new to try! Thanks Daphne and have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hallo Daphne!After all those food we eat on hollidays, your salad is just perfect!!Nice recipe!!I'll try to made it too!!Love salads!!
    Have a lovely week!!
    Dimi..

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks very good! Thank you for posting this salad. I can't wait to try it here :) By the way, your photo's look just fine :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. this look really good! I grew up making our own sundried tomatoes...so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Daphe,
    This salad looks delightful. I think the fetta cheese and the sun dried tomatoes makes it for me. The girls are always looking for new recipes. I will tell them about this one. Thank you for sharing it.

    Oh, I wanted to tell you how much I appreciate the larger print on your posts. It is easy to read, and I think this pleasure comes with age.

    ~Sheri at Red Rose Alley

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks easy and delish! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never heard of Bulgar Wheat before. That salad looks good and nutricious. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I like salads year round. Btw, you can edit the size of your pics by clicking back into Compose mode and the pic size options will come up like normal. You can change them then. I'm being told that I should use Google Chrome from now on as this problem is not going to get corrected.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very different salad. I love feta cheese and I use it alot. The fresh veggies in it are so good for you. Thanks for sharing Daphne.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I make a similar salad with quinoa. In regards to your photos you might want to download Google Chrome as an additional browser. Then use it for blogging and uploading images. As Google owns Blogger this usually does the trick. It takes about 5 minutes to download. I use it and have zero photo issues. hugs, olive

    ReplyDelete
  11. the salad looks healthy and delicious. I am always a fan of feta cheese I swear I can just eat it by itself haha

    ReplyDelete
  12. Daphne! hello this morning!

    Guess what? My Mom loved Bulgar! This post reminds me of my Mom and of me, cuz I love to make salads. I love your step by step photos, too. That is not easy.

    Thank you for your nice words regarding the steals/deals I get at Savers. That Jones New York Shirt probably cost more than the Guess Jeans at regular stores. Crazy? Huh?

    ReplyDelete
  13. No, give me salads all year round. This looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Daphne! Your salad looks hearty and delicious. Thank you for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Daphne, your salad looks delicious! We eat a lot of bulgar here in Turkey too, but I've never made a salad with it... now I've seen yours I'll definitely be trying it.
    I thought it was just me that was having a problem with uploading photos. I've got round it by uploading them from my computer to Picasa first, and then on to my blog. I'm not really a fan of Picasa though, so I hope that Blogger sorts the problem out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the look of this salad and I imagine it tastes delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Daphne,
    Top it off with feta cheese and I'm automatically on board. Another great recipe!! I think your blog will eventually get me back in the kitchen with a smile on my face. Daphne, thank you so much for stopping by my blog and leaving such a nice comment. Above all, thanks for also joining in as a member friend. I also have joined Ivy,Phyllis and Me.
    Missy M

    ReplyDelete

Dear Friends,

It is so wonderful to know you enjoy reading Ivy, Phyllis and Me! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really do appreciate it.

Best wishes to you.

Daphne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...