Pages

Sunday 17 June 2012

IVY'S CHOCOLATE CREAM ROLL

Good Morning to you,

Here in England, Father's Day is celebrated on the third Sunday of June,

WHICH IS TODAY!!

Sadly my father and father-in-law have passed on, but they are remembered, they  live in our hearts, not just today, but everyday.

I would like to wish 

a

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY

to 

GEORGE

who has been the most wonderful father to our two daughters

and

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY

to

ALL  FATHERS AROUND THE WORLD

HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY!!


IVY'S CHOCOLATE CREAM ROLL

As promised I have recreated Ivy's Chocolate Cream Roll from the 1940's Radiation Cookery Book (unfortunate name I know, but Radiation was the make of Ivy's gas cooker).  What an arm workout I had, not the usual placing of ingredients into a mixing bowl and turning on a switch....this was a real arm workout,

......and here it is!


THE RECIPE

The Sponge

2 large eggs
4 oz castor sugar
3 oz best white flour (plain)
1 tablespoon chocolate powder
1/2 teaspoonful vanilla  flavouring (essence)
1/4 teaspoonful baking powder
2 tablespoonfuls warm water

PLUS

1 very strong arm
and
lots of patience!


The Filling

3 oz butter or margarine (I used butter)
6 oz finely sifted icing sugar
Vanilla flavouring (I used vanilla essence)


METHOD

Pre-heat oven 220c/425f/Gas Mark 7
Line a 23cm x 30cm (9"x12") swiss roll tin with greaseproof paper
Brush with melted butter
1 damp cotton tea towel


Using a bowl and a whisk
(Yes a bowl and whisk...leave your KitchenAid's alone...hide if necessary!!)


Beat the eggs


 Add the sugar


  Placed the bowl over a large pan or bowl of hot water and whisk until the mixture is thick.


(I found this took about 15 minutes.... you have to do this until your arm nearly drops off!!
The benefit is  you have a great work out for your arms!)


Remove the bowl from the pan of hot water and continue beating until the mixture is cold.

(I found as the mixture cooled it became glossy....again, this took about 15 minutes... I placed the bowl onto a cold damp tea towel to stop the bowl moving around.  Also I tilted the base of the bowl when whisking to allow the air to circulate under the bowl to help cool the  mixture a little more quickly.)

Stir in the sifted flour, chocolate powder and baking powder; also the vanilla flavour (or essence) and warm water.


Fold gently 


Pour the mixture into the Swiss Roll tin and spread evenly.
Bake for 10 minutes

While the sponge mixture is baking,
place the butter and sugar into a  bowl and using a wooden spoon beat to a light cream.
Add the vanilla flavouring (extract)


Use a clean damp tea towel and place on your surface

Place a piece of sugared greaseproof paper on top of the tea towel.
(I placed a clean cotton tea towel into a bowl of  hot water and squeezed out as much water as I could.  I lay this on my board and put the greaseproof paper over the tea towel, then sprinkled sugar on top of the greaseproof paper.  Useful tip as the damp tea towel helps prevent the Swiss Roll from cracking.)


(This recipe did not mention cutting off the rough edges of the Swiss Roll, but I did as it made  the Swiss Roll look neater.)

Remove the paper from the sponge

(Invert the sponge onto the piece of sugared greaseproof paper,
carefully remove the first piece of greaseproof paper (the one which was buttered)
and place on the sugared greaseproof paper then roll up
(Yes, roll up whilst hot and without any filling ..... interesting!)


When cold, carefully unroll and spread with vanilla-flavoured butter icing.
(Now this was a little scary, but I found as long as the cake was cooled and using a knife, the cake unravels quite easily..... but be gentle!



Roll up neatly with the greaseproof paper and allow to stand for a few hours before cutting.



IF YOU CAN WAIT THAT LONG



AND HERE IT IS

MAKE YOURSELF A CUP OF COFFEE AND ENJOY


I hope you enjoy recreating Ivy's recipe as much as I did.

NEXT WEEK:

I thought you would be interested to see a photograph of the Radiation Cooker which Ivy used, I think you will be fascinated.

I am going to bake one of my favourite cakes, Dorset Apple Cake, this can be enjoyed hot with cream or custard or eaten cold with cream or eaten on it's own..mmmm.

Until then, have a fabulous week and I will catch up with you next Sunday....HAPPY BAKING.

                 Best Wishes,


                  Daphne xxx

1 comment:

  1. That is beautiful! And it ought to be, for the amount of work and time that went into that thing! I hope you enjoyed it thoroughly. :)

    ReplyDelete

Dear Friends,

It is so wonderful to know you enjoy reading Ivy, Phyllis and Me! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really do appreciate it.

Best wishes to you.

Daphne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...